Viva La Vida

1/20/2012

Go Green, Be Responsible:


I believe, nowadays, a good number of people don’t tend to go green unless those who surround them force them to do so. I mean, if there’s no social pressure, most of them wouldn’t even think of being eco-friendly. Luckyly, some communities are; and thanks to the green education from their families today we can see there are some schools and TV channels that do care about the planet and teaching about how to preserve it.

Unfortunately, I’m not green. Either my family or society. I wish we were, though; but it’s very difficult to be environmentally friendly around here, because it’s not easy to recycle and is almost impossible to change a good number of what we consume for organic and low-carbon products. In fact, I’d said Chile is not a county that encourages ecological practices. I’m aware that’s not an excuse for not buying organic products, not reducing waste and reusing products, buying things with tons of packaging, not growing my own food, and so on. But there’re a few things I know I do that reduce my carbon emissions: I try not to waste water or electricity and I use public transport instead of going everywhere by car. I may not use a bike, but if I did buses and the subway would have to work anyway; and I study at least about 12 Km away from home.

My secondary footprint is approximately 6.39 metric tons of CO2, if not much more. I wonder how less our carbon emissions could get.

1 comentario: